Thursday, May 26, 2011

Blog #7

If your approach to reading our text is anything like my first one was, you probably didn't take time to read all of the parts of Mr. Johnson's Unit on Buoyancy.  When I finally did read it, strategies for "Important, Focused & Engaging Curriculum & Instruction" came alive for me!  What helped was that I read it with eyes that finally understood how all of the hallmarks could really be "visible" in one unit of instruction!  For Blog #7, carefully read Figure 6.1 on page 70,  Figure 6.2 on pages 75- 78, Figure 6.3 on p. 79, and Figure 6.4 on page 80.  Really looking at this unit makes Carol's words on the surrounding pages inspiring and engaging.  So, after you have read the unit in the pages listed above, find 3 subheadings in the chapter that are very clear to you now.  Compare and contrast Mr. Johnson's ideas, YOUR ideas for your own class, and the 3 subheadings that are especially meaningful in that comparison. (By "subtopics" I mean the 1- to 2-paragraph sections surrounding the Figures in chapter 6.).  Is there something in what you are required to teach for which you could "plan the engagement" in similar ways?

I better understood the aim high subheading from re-reading figure 6.4. Setting up a detailed rubric like that and showing it to students helps to set the bar high for assignments and understanding. If we expect more from our students they will give us more. My ideas are similar to Mr. Johnson's because I will always have set expectations for each assignments that my students will have to aim high to achieve.

I better understood the Additional Strategies for Demanding and Supported Curriculum and Instruction subheading from re-reading figure 6.3. I think by have students consistently monitor their work through out the day and through out different projects it will help to minimize confusion on assignments as well as keep the students focused and engaged on what they are supposed to be doing. It helps them to become more self reliant.

I better understood the Use Tiered Approaches subheading from re-reading figure 6.1 and 6.2. Mr. Johnson provided good examples of tiering activities in away that effectively engages and encourages both groups. It is important to reach a wide range of students but have them completing the same activity. This makes them feel as equals.






3 comments:

  1. there wasn't a blog 8 yet, but I wanted to just thank you for all of the help and pointers you have helped me with during the program. I really think that you will be a fun and energetic teacher fourth grade teacher. I wish I was as prepared as you are. thanks for your help Rheanna
    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you "better understand" everything and you will be the MOST INCREDIBLE TEACHER because there is no other aim but high aim with you. :) I think we all wished we were as prepared as you! You will be the most amazing teacher and I have LOVED having you as my school bestie! You are just amazing and I can't wait to see your classroom and steal all kinds of ideas from you for further differentiating my own classroom. (Not to mention that we're Christmas card friends for the rest of life!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, these two colleagues have said wonderful, true things about you! I'll just comment on one of your comments... the power of rubrics. Actually, I hate creating them, myself... they're a lot of work. BUT, every time I do, I get greater clarity for the whole assignment! I become more clear about what I want students to know, understand and be able to do. It's a win-win thing! You will be doing a lot of win-win things... because that's how you have been preparing! 4 points

    ReplyDelete